[ale] Where2Dispose UPS batteries ?

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:15:09 EDT 2007

wow - "pure virgin" in a geek channel :)

I was under the impression that in most batteries the lead was mostly junk
after having been in use for a long time.

On 4/5/07, Dan Lambert <danlambert at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Actually, they return them to an EPA certified recycling center, and
> there, they separate them into their component parts. The Acid (what
> little is in a VRLA) is recycled or neutralized, the lead is removed and
> resmelted using a special smelter that scrubs the exhaust gasses, and
> the plastic is recycled.
>
> Most commodity batteries made today use mostly recycled lead, and only
> premium batteries and specialty batteries are made with pure virgin
> lead.

Dan

> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 14:02 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 13:55 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > > I get replacement ones from Batteries plus and they recycle the old
> > > ones.
> >
> > Any idea on what they do to recycle the old ones?  Presumably they move
> > them somewhere else, but what do they do to them?  Storage?
> >
> > -Jim P.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2