[ale] snort / snortsam run as non-root user?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Apr 4 10:44:21 EDT 2007

We're preparing to install a server with Linux and then load snort and
possibly snortsam.   Can these be run by non-root users?

My security admin wants to own the OS (e.g. have full root access)
because he believes he'll need it to use these products.

Before anyone says it:  I know it sounds funny to say you don't want the
security admin having root - he is more a network person than OS so I
want to retain root control to prevent him from damaging the OS
accidentally.