[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Wed Sep 27 16:15:13 EDT 2006

I'm sure I did miss some of the discussion.  I am now confused why we
are discussing it.  If no changes are going to be made to this list.
Create another list that is moderated, I am all for it.  I thought a
change to this list was being discussed.

On Sep 27, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Byron A Jeff wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 12:31:54PM -0400, Mark Wright wrote:
>> I totally agree with Jim.  (Well the part about being funny is still
>> being considered.)
>>
>> I like the "fellowship" of like minded individuals here.  I think
>> most people here are the kind of folks I would hang out with at
>> work.  And the topics, even the immature, irrelevant ones would be
>> the stuff of our face to face conversations too.  They might not last
>> as long as they may be quelled with a few disapproving looks but this
>> is email.  We (the faithful) may have to put up with people joining
>> that will be unruly for a season but as Jim has pointed out there are
>> ways of handling this.
>>
>>   Changing to moderation will definitely be destructive.
>
> Did I miss a part of the discussion? Quick recap:
>
> A single list has too much "silly" traffic for some of the more
> busy and
> serious minded Linux users. This is driving them, and their
> expertise off.
>
> Proposed solution is to split the list into two components, technical
> moderated and chat unmoderated. The moderated list would be for
> "serious
> technical" topics while the unmoderated chat list would be this
> current list.
> Note I'm not bothering with announce.
>
> I'm unclear how this setup would destroy the sense of community
> here. The
> chat list would be this list. Since it's unmoderated, technical topics
> would be fair game. I cannot perceive what the change would be.
>
> Adding the second moderated list would attract some expertise that
> would
> otherwise avoid the ALE mailing lists altogether from what I read
> of the
> initial proposal.
>
> The question is do we want to shun folks who want to participate
> but don't
> have the time to be bothered with social banter?
>
> When I read the proposal I saw a split to generate flexibility, not
> just
> a set of restrictions that will kill the spirit of the list.
>
> I think that the moderators will have to take time to pay attention to
> the chat list and work on transferring topics that are relevant to the
> moderated list.
>
> But overall I feel that if we can find ways to attract serious folks
> to the discussion at any level, that it's a plan that should at least
> get some consideration.
>
> BAJ

>>> I am definitely funnier than all of you put together :)
>>>
>>> As far as any degree of moderation goes, I don't think that any
>>> one of
>>> us is qualified to decide what _I_ get to read or not read other
>>> than
>>> me. I suspect that everyone, even the loudest tantrum tossers, on
>>> the
>>> list shares that sentiment.
>>>
>>> If someone has issues with a thread, use the delete key, add a BS
>>> filter, etc.
>>>
>>> If someone has issues with the message quantity, subscribe to the
>>> digest
>>> version.
>>>
>>> If someone has issues with bandwidth, get a better ISP.
>>>
>>> If someone has a problem with spending too much time on the list,
>>> get a
>>> life!
>>>
>>> I am quite certain I have been on the ALE list since around 1996 or
>>> so.
>>> For what ever it is worth, _my_ opinion has not been consulted off
>>> list
>>> about any type of proposed change to the format.
>>>
>>> Not that I have any say so as there does appear to be some
>>> semblance of
>>> structure rising up from the deep, vi/emacs-edited, man pages
>>> history
>>> past of ALE and the zombies of Atlanta Linux Showcase (Damn, I miss
>>> that! Too bad Penguinfest can't get off the ground). If the
>>> really old
>>> crusty farts want to make some changes, they can. No matter what is
>>> done
>>> or not done, it will affect the membership of the group.
>>>
>>> Several years ago (during the Clinton election #2, I believe) a
>>> particularly nasty thread erupted into a flame war. Several people
>>> were
>>> on the thread trying to calm down some hot heads. Some people, I
>>> was one
>>> of them, contacted the hot heads off the list and did the escalating
>>> requests to calm down, then please stop posting, then stop posting ,
>>> then finally, GET OFF THE LIST AND GO AWAY.
>>>
>>> Yes, I participated in an action similar to the tar and feather and
>>> ride
>>> 'em out of town on a rail, virtual style. It's not an event I am
>>> particularly proud of. But it serves as example of what community
>>> can
>>> do. (NOTE: This public expose of hostilities lasted for MANY, MANY