[ale] if 'dpkg' is removed, will this entirely disable all up-dating/grading & apt-getfunctions?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 11:18:08 EDT 2006

How do you have 1.13.22 installed when the latest version available in
Sarge is 1.10.28? According to
http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/dpkg.html 1.3.22 is available in the
testing (Etch) branch. When I do a google search for "dpkg 1.13" I get
a bunch of results referencing 1.13.22 for Ubuntu. That leads me to
believe you are either 1) trying to convert from Ubuntu to Debian
without a reinstall or 2) have, at some point, updated to the testing
branch of Debian (presumably while running Woody). If it is the first
case, I'm done trying to get this issue fixed. Ubuntu is not Debian;
it is a mess of Debian branches that lead to nothing but woe. If it is
the second case, either go back to running testing, and switch to Etch
when it is released in December, or go on up to unstable (Sid). As I
said in my first reply, in the first thread to which I replied, it is
a bad, _BAD_, idea to mix packages from different branches.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59