[ale] if 'dpkg' is removed, will this entirely disable all up-dating/grading & apt-getfunctions?

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 23 11:02:21 EDT 2006

Thank you for the prompt clarification.

I currently have dpkg 1.13.22 installed and have no interest in upgrading.
I only bring  all this up because in the attempt to install an initrd-tools
pkg that is acceptable to kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k7, a new initrd-tools is
required which requires removing dpkg as a subprocess.

Apparently I 'm doin'  a poor job of transmitting & receiving for which
I apologize.

I have assumed that everything is a front end for dpkg, and that's why in
my former posting I said that I was so surprised that any installation would
remove dpkg.

I seem to be at a point where I cannot go 'forward' without removing dpkg
which, as I understand it, dumps me into a soft cul-de-sac. Bizarre indeed.

I thank you for all your time & patience in this matter,
Sincerely,
Courtney