[ale] Comcast HSI was Re: 10M service

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 21:16:54 EDT 2006

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 20:13 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
>> Well, I've just had a non HSI experience with Comcast NO customer
>> service.  Had a service call scheduled for last saturday AM.  I told
>> them to call me on my cell phone before they came and they agreed.  I
>> went to a neighbor's house at 9:50.  Returned around 11:30 to find a
>> work  order on the door from comcast with 'sorry we mist you, 9:30'  No,
>> that's not a typo, that's what the note said.
>
>> #1.  I was here until 9:50, so either the tech doesn't know how to tell
>> time, or doesn't know how to ring a doorbell.
>
>> #2.  I was never called as they stated they would.
>
> 	They swear they always call first.  But, in all my experience with them
> for both cable and HSI, I've never had them call, even when they've
> shown up for a scheduled call.

I've had BOTH experiences over the years.  However, the past two times
(latest was yesterday) they did call, BOTH the tech as he pulled into
the area, and just prior to him a person from the Comcast service center
to let me know that he would be calling shortly.

I did have a problem w/ Comcast last week, and all weekend, I thought I
had resolved it by moving things around and getting a new modem.
Yesterday when the tech was here we reviewed everything, and all was
working like a champ.  The lady who called me from Comcast before the
tech arrived said that an engineering team had discovered a neighborhood
problem that they had just resolved, and at that time of the morning the
HSD was rocking.  So, based on her word and the tech's specs from the
signal check, I was a happy camper.  But.... today, just like this past
Saturday and Sunday, HSD was up/down/up/down/up/down.  It went down
again while I was typing this email (argh), but the good news is that I
just now got notification of a VM from my boss (of course he had called
  5+ hours ago, more on that later).  With Comcast, my PC and/or Router
hooked to CM can always renew an IP during these outages, but IP routes
nowhere, so to me this sounds like a serious RF issue (different
frequencies for diff protocols, right?).  Damn I wish I had paid more
attention back when my dad was dragging me to those Amateur radio
technician licensing classes. ;-)

I'm convinced that it has to be Sun flares.  ;-) There is no other
explanation for it.  Lately my Cingular coverage has sucked (both AT&T
Wireless and a second true Cingular phone), Ga Power has been browning
out in the AM regularly around 7:14AM.  No, I'm not normally up that
early, but apcupsd txtmsgs me when this happens.  However because the
the txts are sent to my AT&T Wireless cellphone they don't arrive until
several hours later (that's an inconvenience that in and of itself
approaches my understanding of the pain of childbirth).  I can live with
HSD going down every now and then, but when txtmsgs and vm notifications
are late and out of sync it just bugs the heck out of me. ;-)

-Jim P.