[ale] ALE CENTRAL for Thursday, May 11 -- Presentation Slides Posted

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu May 18 14:30:49 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 13:45, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> On Thu May 11, 2006 09:52AM, aaron wrote:
> >
> > Slides from the presentation should be made available within a week.
> > I will [also] ask Andrew to notify us when he has another Atlanta
> > area offering so we can post it here.

> Do you have the slides and/or video from this presentation available
> yet? -- Cheers, Trey

Thanks for the reminder...
I uploaded Andrew's "Xen Virtualization" Presentation Slides this morning
and Michael Still promptly posted them for download:

<http://ftp.ale.org/meetings/central/2006-05/>

(other etc)
> > I'll be making a video recording of the presentation as well.
Availability of video or audio supported graphic versions is still indefinite.

> > I'm hoping to start regularly posting the meeting presentations in
> > a new "chaptered" podcast format where the slide graphics can be
> > synched to an mp3 audio track (oldschool film strips gone geek).
[snip]

After investigating this further I'm finding that the "enhanced" podcast
design goes out of its way to cripple delivery. Their default / "recommended"
settings are to scale images to tiny (iPod screen size?) 300x300 postage
stamps with an awkward, non-standard 1x1 image aspect ratio (maybe their only
intention is to "enhance" CD sales on iTunes by including cover art). The
audio is forced to AAC (m4a) and the whole format is QuickTime based, aspects
which place some obnoxious roadblocks to Linux and OSS platform access.

"Enhanced" Podcasts may still turn out be the easiest current choice, but I
need to confirm that the format can readily support hi-res, 4x3 standard
graphic playback and has a good Linux based player. I'll also continue
searching for a solution with better Linux / OSS support for both playback
and authoring.

peace
aaron

SIG note:
> It's so stupid of modern civilization to have given up believing in the
> Devil when he is the only explanation of it.
The paradox being that this "Devil" is just a collective name for all the
stupid, superstitious, delusional beliefs in imagined non-entities.
:-)