[ale] Best MTA?

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Tue May 16 21:16:08 EDT 2006

On 5/15/2006 at 10:09 PM Mike Harrison wrote:

>> Postfix, QMail, and Exim, as well as any others you can think of?  I was
>> going to use a LAMP server but was told to keep my servers seperate.
>
>I'm one of the few people who use Courier-MTA for everything
>and like it. It's a pretty impressive package, a pain to configure
>unless you actually read and follow the documentation.
>http://www.courier-mta.org
>
>And many MANY other systems/config use Maildrop and other pieces
>of Courier...
>
>But if you are a newbie, I suggest you learn and use whatever is installed
>by default in your distro-of-choice, it'll probably work the easiest,
>and you'll learn enough quickly to know more what you want and why.
>You may even find the one in the distro-of-choice is what you wanted
>anyway.

You and Thomas both mentioned Courier.  I'll take a closer look at both Courier-MTA and Courier-IMAP to see if they may fit my strategy.

I appreciate the advice on choosing a distro's default.  Frankly, I don't know what the distros I have use; I've been told not to use the same machine for both web server and email server so I didn't install it on the web server.  The other distros aren't being used right now, just FC4.  I got too confused trying to remember one distro from another... it's bad enough going from KDE to Gnome!

Thanks,
Robert~

SIXIT Consulting
H: 770-320-0181 or (478) 599-1300
Cell: 678-438-6955 or (478) 599-1301
Fax: 866-355-3720 (Toll-Free)

2907-I Watson Blvd
Warner Robins, GA 31093-8535
United States

   * Microsoft is NOT a standard. *

NOTICE: With respect to all communications you make to any sixit.com email address, including but not limited to feedback, questions, comments, suggestions and the like: (a) you shall have no right of confidentiality in your communications and SIXIT Consulting shall have no obligation to protect your communications from disclosure; (b) SIXIT Consulting shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose and distribute your communications to others without limitation and without expectation of compensation to you and without notice to you; and (c) SIXIT Consulting shall be free to use without any expectation of compensation to you any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in your communications for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to the development, production and marketing of products and services that incorporate such information; particularly if your message is of an unsolicited nature.