[ale] Gotta bea FAQ: Give ordinary users R/W/X access to VFAT partition

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun May 14 19:55:15 EDT 2006

On Sun May 14 2006 16:22, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Sun May 14 2006 1:35 pm, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > Windows XP refuses to create an FAT32 partition (vfat) that is > 30
> > GiB. ? That's pretty pathetic -- I can use FreeDOS on my 250 GiB
> > SATA drive with one FAT32 partition, and Windows XP will then *use*
> > it, but it won't create partitions like that.
>
> I just created 4 31GB fat32 partitions, so both XP and SUSE can use
> them for data storage/transfer. Actually, it is mostly storage, most
> of the transferring I do is between the desktop SUSE and my laptop XP,
> using winscp to transfer files:)

GB or GiB?  30 GB is 30,000,000,000 bytes, and 30 GiB is 33,285,996,544
bytes.  As I understand it, the limitation is 30 GiB, which means that
Windows won't let you create a partition that is >= 33,285,996,554 bytes
and allow you to use the FAT32 file system on it.  I could be wrong on the
details, however.

	- Mike