[ale] covad VoIP down...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Mar 27 10:53:19 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 09:55 -0500, Rob Fauls wrote:
>> not sure if anyone else is running VoIP with covad, but our company
>> is
>> in the process of testing their solution and it seems that their NOC
>> in
>> chicago has gone down.  I was under the impression that everyone uses
>> multiple nocs for the simple reason that if one goes down they dont
>> want
>> all their customers out of business.  does anyone else run covad
>> business VoIP and if so, is anyone else suffering today?
>
> I know I'm going to start a flame war.  IMO I believe that data ppl and
> voice ppl are different.  Data people are used to windows and accept
> downtime.  Voice people do not.  This is why Covad is down.  I help the
> PBX world do active monitoring of their switches and the mentality in
> that world is totally different than the data world.  Its okay to
> experience downtime in a NOC but in a phone room it is unacceptable.

This may well be true of Covad, but I assure you, after working at AT&T
Labs for 5 years specifically supporting software that was used at the
NOC AND another 3 years with the Labs in Facility Planning, that is not
the case with AT&T NOCs.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin