[ale] Converting to RAID5 root

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Sun Mar 5 11:17:50 EST 2006

Yeah, I realized I wrote this in a bit of haste. Let me explain the
setup more clearly:

I initially installed my linux distro on a regular ATA drive,
standard debian 3.0 defaults (root at /dev/hda1, /home on /dev/hda5).

I then added three SATA drives to the system, with the intent of
migrating the system over to the raid array. GRUB sees these as (hd2)
through (hd4). The libata driver names then /dev/sda - /dev/sdc.

I set up the following arrays on the three drives:

md0 - sda1, sdb2 - RAID 1 array to load kernel, will mount as /boot.
md1 - sda5, sdb5, sdc5 - RAID5 array to mount as /
md2 - sda6, sdb6, sdc6 - RAID5 array hosting LVM partitions

I solved the kernel panic issue already - I had incorrectly assumed
that the initrd image generated by make-kpkg would load the proper
SATA modules and autodetect my SATA drives. It didn't. So I commented
the initrd out of menu.lst, compiled libata and RAID support into the
kernel directly, and rebooted.

The system now autodetects the arrays, and mounts /dev/md1 as the
root partition, but then bombs with this error immediately after
mounting /dev/md1 :

"Warning: could not open inital console"

And I'm clueless, again.

Any ideas on that one?

-C