[ale] Converting to RAID5 root

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 5 09:26:59 EST 2006

This defies my logic of RAIDS.   Is this a software RAID?  A RAID 1
requires at least 2 drives.  A RAID 5 requires at least 3 drives.  You
don't appear to have enough.  You would need a total of 5 drives for
this configuration.  Unless you were doing sometime of magic with
software RAID.  And that some how doesn't sound like a good idea.

However if I am wrong I was reading something the other day about
initrd.  This would have to be loaded before attempting to mount the
root.  I THINK.  It needs to load the drivers for the RAID before the
kernel can boot.