[ale] Converting to RAID5 root

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Sat Mar 4 19:51:09 EST 2006

OK, here goes...

I'm converting a standard one-drive debian sid installation to a 3-
drive RAID. I current have both the original drive and the three SATA
drives installed in the system. I've maid the raid partitions with no
issues. I have three RAID partitions:

md0	boot partition, RAID 1
md1	root, RAID 5
md2 	LVM volume, RAID 5

What I'm trying to do at the moment is make sure I can boot off of
the RAID set with md1 as the root partition. Here's the relevant part
of menu.lst on the primary drive:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15.4 RAID
root            (hd2,0)
kernel          (hd2,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.15.4 root=/dev/md1 ro
initrd          (hd2,0)/initrd.img-2.6.15.4
savedefault
boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15.4 RAID (recovery mode)
root            (hd2,0)
kernel          (hd2,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.15.4 root=/dev/md1 ro single
initrd          (hd2,0)/initrd.img-2.6.15.4
savedefault
boot

I've already copied all the filesystems over to the relevant RAID
partitions. RAID is compiled into the kernel.

By all appearances, GRUB is able to boot the kernel that lives on the
md0 volume, but I get a kernel panic at the point where the system
attempts to mount /dev/md1 as the root volume. The error reads:

VFS: Cannot open root device "md1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" option
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(0,0)

Is there something that needs to be set up prior to this mount
operation (a boot arg, for example) such that the kernel knows how to
assemble /dev/md1? Is this something that should be in the initrd
that make-kpkg creates? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-Chris