[ale] Playing DVDs on FC1

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Feb 28 16:35:26 EST 2006

Dow_Hurst wrote:

>Under suse the link http://www.iiv.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/downloads/script_rpm4/install_libdvdcss2 is a script that will download the decryption library for dvds and compile and install it for you.  Now, this is under suse.  So you would have to take a look at the script and see how to modify it for fedora core1, if that is possible.

I think I can just build and install libdvdcss. It was listed as an
optional dependency
for Ogle, and it didn't occur to me to try installing it. I'll do that
next time I have
a chance.  Thanks for the suggestion.

>  Once this is installed, Mplayer under suse from packman will pick that right up and use it.  Don't know about Xine or Ogle except you will need that library to view typical commercial DVDs for sure.  The read error on Ogle makes me wonder if that is all your missing.  Any reason you can't update to SUSE9.x or 10 and use the packman rpms of Mplayer, Win32codecs and so on?  Makes it very convenient.

I just don't want to go through the hell of changing to a different
distro and then
having to fix everything that breaks :-)  It wouldn't be a problem if it
was my
own machine, but the machine in question is (a) a 10 minute drive away,
and not
accessible via VNC; and (b) one that my friend uses on a daily basis,
and he will
be very upset if something doesn't work.  I converted him to Linux, but the
price I paid is that I'm now his sole means of support :-)

-- JK