[ale] Linux + Flash + Old laptop + kids

Robert Story rstory-l at 2006.revelstone.com
Tue Feb 28 14:27:48 EST 2006

Subject: Re: [ale] Linux + Flash + Old laptop + kids
From: Robert Story <rstory-l at revelstone.com>
To: ale at ale.org
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
Cc: ale at FultonGreen.com

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:54:42 -0500 Fulton wrote:
FG> And which version of Flash are you using?  It's at version 8 for Windows,
FG> but only version 7 (7.0r61, actually) for Linux.  These assume that
FG> you're using Firefox 1.5.

My FC4 box has 1.5.0.1 and 7.0r61. I did notice that the flash plugin is the
*only* plugin listed in the about:plugins window. Maybe there is some other
dependency?

FG> The point being that some Flash files actually depend upon version 8 to
FG> work properly.  Barring that, I'd say that the Linux porters didn't
FG> implement everything properly.  And you say simpler Flash works on other
FG> sites ... ?

Yes, the other sites my son likes work fine..

I had a similar problem with Mozilla on my wife's windows box, which was solved
by creating a new profile. The pbskids site worked in the new profile, but not
the old one.