[ale] Ga tech

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Fri Feb 24 16:54:04 EST 2006

Used to be, at GT, if you wanted to know how computers *worked*, you
became a EE.  On the other hand, if you wanted to be able to write a
compiler, you went CS.  CS undergrad majors back in the legwarmer era
didn't *by and large* understand digital electronics or really even
system administration (it would have been nigh impossible to get your
own system to administer).

I don't know how this changed when the schools merged, but it sounds
like they're taking another abstract jump away from the actual *work* of
computing.  I guess this is how we get to a technological singularity -
an implemented technology that no one understands.

Jeff