[ale] OT vision computers etal

Nathan ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Thu Feb 23 13:19:04 EST 2006

I don't believe (searching back through my earlier messages) that I've
used the term 'wonderful support' when referring to Dell's technical
support.  The point that I have been trying to make though is that
organizations looking to pay a one time fee for hardware + extended
support (i.e. 3 years), it's difficult to find that in a small Mom and
Pop shop.  To hopefully illustrate my point, in the situation that Paul
mentioned.  If User 1 had bought the part from Local Computer Store A,
and had had it for 366 days (just outside of a year).  User 1 is a
novice user and wants to use the computer as a tool to help him do his
job, he doesn't care to know what a motherboard or IDE cable is, or the
differences between IDE, SATA, SCSI, etc.  He just wants to use the
computer.  User 1 finds, all of a sudden, that the burner doesn't work.
User 1 calls the Computer Store A and they likely say 'we're sorry, but
it sounds like you have a bad drive, you'll need to buy another one
since it's out of warranty'.  User 1 takes their word for it, goes to
buy the replacement drive, and then hires Tech Guy 1 to install it.  At
this point, User 1 is out 1) the time it took to troubleshoot, go get
the drive, get back, and wait for Tech Guy 1 to come and replace it
(likely the next day day, if you figure that User 1 noticed the error at
9:00am, talked to the store at 10:00am, went to the store and arrived by
11:00am, got back to his office by 12:00pm, called computer guy to do
the replacement at this time) and 2) the expense of the replacement
drive and the price for Tech Guy 1's time.  In the Dell scenario,
downtime is the same, but the cost of the replacement drive and Tech Guy
1's time was covered in the original cost of the machine.

Now, to relate this to the original post, computer equipment for a
Church.  If the Church doesn't have someone on staff / local that has
the 'know how'  to provide tech support, they could easily be User 1 in
the example above.  If they're looking to control costs (as most
non-profits are, understandably), the Dell option is a better option.
Downtime is the same, cost is lower.  If they want to pay more, they can
get more.  Step one would be to buy the 'Gold', 'Premium', 'Elevated',
or whatever 'superior' support package and have it's cost applied as an
additional up front cost, easy to budget.  The next step is to hire
someone to 1) build the computers and 2) provide long term technical
support.  This is by far the best option for quality of equipment and
quality of support, but it is considerably more expensive than either of
the other options if things break.  How long would it take for your time
(Paul, James, me, etc.) to exceed the cost of that 'elevated' warranty
on a tier one box?