[ale] udev/sndstat problem

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue Feb 21 03:47:11 EST 2006

Some programs that use OSS require /dev/sndstat.

Alsa emulation of OSS puts it in /proc/asound/oss/sndstat.

I need, therefore, to make a symbolic link from /proc/asound/oss/sndstat to
/dev/sndstat.

However, udev appears to wipe out unrecognized entries in /dev, so whenever I
reboot, the link is gone.  I can't figure out how to create a udev rule that
allows this symbolic link to stay in existence.  (There is a way to create
symlinks, but as far as I can figure out, only for particular devices, and
udev doesn't think /proc/asound/oss/sndstat is a device.)

The best I can think of is to put something in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to recreate
the symlink each reboot, but is there a proper way to do it?