[ale] Ga Tech changes emphasis of Computer Science

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Feb 20 20:30:36 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 19:55 -0500, roberth1954 at aim.com wrote:
> I agree with the below assessment. I only spent about 5 years as a
> programmer (software engineer, software developer, etc) way back in my
> late twenties-early thirties. (that's 5 out of 30 in the business) And,
> I really think it helps to be able to understand "how the machine
> thinks".

I've interviewed people for Java positions and POSIX C positions.
I never met and Indian for the C but almost 90% of the Java applicants
were.  Unfortunately we needed someone with understanding of UNIX and
UNIX concepts and many Java vocational programmers know only Java.

My outlook is that a good admin can come from a programming background.
If you can write /bin/login in Linux then you _know_ UNIX.

And tonight is still young.  I have a meeting in 1 hour with my Java guy
and I plan on finishing up login.c for our new embedded device.  Once
that is done I'll bring over mgetty.

And I've not even got the hardware yet.  I give kudos for vmplayer.