[ale] OT: Data recovery from CD-ROM?

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Feb 20 11:38:37 EST 2006

To recover, use dd to copy the raw device (such as /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdc)
to an ordinary disk file, such as /root/mycd.  Then run fsck or even fsdb
on it to fix the damage.  Then mount /root/mycd via the loopback device
(see the book "Real World Linux Security, 2nd ed" for how to do that).
Enjoy.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]