[ale] ATIIXP sound/modem module not available for x86_64?

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sun Feb 19 12:14:14 EST 2006

A friend of mine just bought an eMachines T6420 (AMD64, 1GB RAM, 200GB drive, onboard nVidia 6100 w/128MB for $550).

SUSE10 installed very nicely on it, but, naturally, the modem and sound aren't working.

I've done some quick research and found issues relating to either lack of support for ATIIXP or slmodem modules on x86_64.  The BIOS setup seems to confirm that I have ATIIXP, so it seems to match the problem.
Has anyone run into this, and hopefully, identified a resolution?

I can break the seal on the case and put a sound card and external modem on this if I need to, but it's a brand new box with a one year onsite warranty, so I'd rather not if I don't have to

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420