[ale] Low-Cost Color Laser for Linux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Feb 16 21:07:40 EST 2006

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I'm thinking that you may be painting yourself into a corner with both
> the "low-cost" and the "color laser."  The only way for a manufacturer
> to get both, I'd imagine, would be to go the "winprinter" route.
>
> That being said, Postscript can be your buddy.  To quote linuxprinting.org:
>
> "Note that most low-end color lasers have proprietary protocols, which
> are not (Epson AcuLaser 900/1000, works with proprietary Epson driver
> PIPS <http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/index.html>) or not perfectly
> (Minolta/QMS magicolor 2200DL) working with free software. But there is
> also one model for which the manufacturer supplies an excellent free
> driver, the Minolta/QMS magicolor 2430DL. The driver works also as well
> on the 2300DL and can be downloaded from Minolta/QMS' FTP site
> <ftp://ftp.minolta-qms.com/pub/crc/out_going/other/magicolor2430DL-1.1.0.tar.gz>.

Well I like that news.  I've got a 2300dl, works fine with the free
drivers, but I'll take a look at the 2430 driver and see if it makes any
difference.

I didn't respond to the original post as I did not think the 2300 was
still available.  If you can find one, it works acceptably well on all
but photos.  Photos look good, but my inkjet photo printer does a better
job.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Go live and stabilize!