[ale] OT: Good customer-support experience with Tyan

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Feb 15 21:17:53 EST 2006

ALErs -

I wanted to pass a good service experience along. I'm putting together a
server application using an older Tyan motherboard: 'Tiger 100' dual-PIII
ATX.

Its two processers were now running smoothly, but I couldn't find the
right BIOS setting for automatic restart after a power interruption.
Failing to identify the right settings through their manuals (all on the
web site, BTW), FAQs, etc., I sent an e-mail.

Auto response was RTFM, which I had already done. I wrote back I hadn't
found the answer that way.

First reply about 12 hrs. later was well-intentioned but didn't get to a
solution. I replied to that effect and the followup was outstanding:
another mail from another engineer, confirming my question and offering
direct suggestions;  second a _spontaneous_ follow-up reporting he had
looked into the BIOS screens and manuals and understood my confusion, and
giving me further and precise directions that _did_ solve my problem.

I really appreciate this type of thoughtful help!

I'll certainly consider Tyan again in the future.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu