[ale] SATA experience

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 6 13:51:50 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:30:07PM -0500, Philip Polstra wrote:
> The device is /dev/sda.  The boot partition is /dev/sda1, swap is /dev/sda2,
> and root is /dev/sda3.  /dev/hda is my DVD drive.  It seems to not want to
> mount the root partition.

I'm using gentoo with SATA, so it can be done.  I assume you're using
grub; what errors are you getting?

Here is what my grub.conf looks like:

---
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5
---

and /etc/fstab (trimmed):

---
/dev/sda1  /boot  ext2  noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/sda5  /      ext3  noatime         0 1
---

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9