[ale] [Fwd: Re: [VOIPSEC] Phil Zimmerman to release VoIP Encryption Software(c.March)]

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Feb 3 10:26:03 EST 2006

More on Phil's voip work:

Tom and Christian,

Phil and I are finalizing an Internet Draft for ZRTP which will be
submitted to the IETF later this month, so the protocol will not be
proprietary.

As for it being too late, its true that SRTP was published in 2004 -
however, it is completely useless unless both parties can negotiate a
secret (master SRTP key and salt).  Currently, there are lots of
proprietary methods and a number of incompatible standard methods to do
this.  There is also no good way to be able to offer SRTP but fall back
to RTP.

ZRTP extends SRTP to make it a usable standalone protocol, and solves
all these problems in a scalable, server-less way that does not rely on
any PKI infrastructure or trust of any intermediate servers.

I hope everyone will wait for the draft and then make up their mind.

Thanks,
Alan Johnston

Until later, Geoffrey