[ale] Fwd: [VOIPSEC] Phil Zimmerman to release VoIP Encryption Software(c.March)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Feb 3 10:14:16 EST 2006

Interesting info on Phil's voip work....

Christian Stredicke wrote:
> Tom, open source does not mean it is not proprietary.
>
> Zfone uses "ZRTP", which is currently his own proprietary protocol. I
> appreciate Phil's work, it is surely a masterpiece. But it is too late!
> The rest of this planet has agreed in the meantime on SRTP and TLS. Phil
> should have contributed to RFC3261 (sips, tls transport layer) and
> RFC3711 (SRTP). RFC3261 was published in June 2002, and SRTP was
> published in March 2004. If Phil introduces it in March to the IETF, I
> do not assume it will become an RFC too soon.

Now I don't follow the voip stuff so closely that I've read the RFC's so
I don't know how valid the above statement is.

I'll not forward every thread about this to the list, as it might be
considered a bit off topic.  If you want to stay on top of it, get on
the voip list...

--
Until later, Geoffrey