[ale] OT: MicorCenter and new iMacs

docx at io.com docx at io.com
Wed Feb 1 15:36:18 EST 2006

On Wed, February 1, 2006 8:26 pm, Christopher Fowler said:
> I just saw the new iMacs in the MicroCenter circular and thought that
> the CPU speeds were a tad slow.  I was expecting them to use 3.0ghz
> chips instead.  Am I wrong?  Or is this maybe a way to get more cash by
> selling hardware that is faster?

AFAIK, the 1.83 and 2.0 gHz cips were the ones initially announced.  3.0 gHz
chips would be more expensive and would curb initial adoption of the new
platform.  And, if they're 4x faster (or thereabouts) on those chips, why add
a marginal performance improvement (because chips don't increase HD I/O speed)
with an associated non-marginal price increase?

I'm sure there will be new models introduced with higher clock speeds when as
replacements to the Power Mac G5 line for high-end professional users
(especially once more of the high-end software is re-compiled so it runs
natively on Intel processors).  But, for an initial release, it makes sense to
go with a slower, but cheaper processor, especially when you're paying a
premium already for the Mac logo.

At least that's my opinion.

--
Dylan Northrup - docx at io.com - http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's