[ale] NFS Root question

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Wed Feb 1 11:48:21 EST 2006

ALErs -

I want to boot a Linux system against a root filesystem exported by
another Linux system.

The intended root system is exported as <host_ip>:/pub/<root_name> and
can be NFS-mounted with no problem by my intended target (or others).

The same host also serves 'tftp' with no problems.

I am not, however, managing to pass my target the correct kernel
parameters to mount that export as '/' when my target boots, using the
command: "nfsroot=<host_ip>:/pub/<root_name>". The target is refused an
RPC code in a series of 'Error 101' replies from the host. I've also
tried exporting at the root of the rootfs, with the same address.

Host is FC3, target is a linux-2.4.26 embedded-system CPU.

Setup and diagnostic clues welcomed.

Thanks.
 - Mills