[ale] SAP -- Dream Job!

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Aug 25 13:49:31 EDT 2006

I supported SAP on Solaris at a prior job (with an Oracle DB).

However, I've also lived in Grenada and worked in St. Thomas and
Bermuda.   I can tell you from experience that working in paradise is
NOT as much fun as visiting.  The work ethic is conspicuous by its
absence.  That wouldn't be a problem except YOU are still expected to
perform.  I will say though that a few of the more professional people I
met in Grenada were actually natives of Jamaica so it might be different
there.

One of my favorite stories:  Went to St. Thomas to replace existing port
boards in a SCO (I know) UNIX server with newer ones made by Computone
out of Norcross.  The parts were shipped separately.   I get to the site
and the American Controller sends the local driver to the airport to get
the parts after he verifies they are there.  This is on a Friday
morning.  After that we never can find the driver.  I stick around for a
couple of days until my company tells me to come back.

A couple of weeks later my company says they have the parts on site and
sends me back down.  I ask the Controller what happened.  He says the
driver explained to him:  "You told me to get the parts from the
airport.  You never said to bring them back here."   I've often wondered
if the driver thought they were a gift or what.  It was a perfect
example of the work ethic I mentioned above.  :-)

P.S.  Although it was written in the 50s a good book to read BEFORE you
commit to working in the islands is "Don't Stop the Carnival".  I read
in 1990 and was surprised how well it described the challenges one has
working there.  Of course it was about a hotel and I was working at a
hotel then but it's a funny read if nothing else.