[ale] Linux on sparc recommendations?

Raylynn Knight audilover at speedfactory.net
Sat Aug 26 00:26:50 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 13:31 -0400, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> In an effort to target one *nix internally, we have been turning down our
> Solaris boxes and replacing them with Linux.
>
> My problem: I have a growing number of idle Sparc machines...some that are
> pretty capable and pricey.
>
> I'd rather use them than sell them...is there a particular Linux distro
> that runs well on most sparcs? I tend to lean towards Debian myself, but
> we do have a fair amount of Red Hat boxes around here as well.
>
> Just looking for experiences and recommendations.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
Aurora 2.0 http://auroralinux.org/ is a Fedora Core 3 based distro for
Sparcs.  I ran the 1.0 (Fedora Core 1) version on a couple of Sparc 20s
for a while and it was very stable.  If you want long term support the
latest Ubuntu 6.06 has the server distribution for UltraSparc T1.  I
haven't used Debian on Sparc in a while, but I do run it on Nubus PPC,
m68k Macintosh, SGI Indy and even an old HP9000/360.

Ray