[ale] Ubuntu woes

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 19:36:21 EDT 2006

Brian D. Pitts wrote:
> The first thing I do after I install Ubuntu on a laptop is install
> network-manager-gnome, which enables switching between wired and
> wireless networks with ease. It even uses wpasupplicant to handle 802.1X
> with aplomb.

NetworkManger is what is causing me (and many others it seems) problems.
  I can user wifi and eth0 fine without NM, but NM can't use wifi.
Switching back and forth (by adding/removing interfaces from
/etc/network/interfaces) is a big waste of time too.  I went through 2
fsck checks (60+ reboots) in figuring out that it was NM not the wifi
card that was giving me problems.  I will add that to make my wifi card
work I had to iwpriv it to only use 802.11b.... and that is something I
suspect NM can't do.  Also, when using NM I get about 2MB of log files
each hour from wpa_suplicant complaining about every other AP if finds
and doesn't have an encryption key for (regardless of the fact that I am
not trying to use those other APs).

-Jim P.