[ale] Ubuntu woes

Brian D. Pitts bpitts at LearnLink.Emory.Edu
Mon Aug 7 20:39:04 EDT 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org> writes:
>NetworkManger is what is causing me (and many others it seems) problems.
>  I can user wifi and eth0 fine without NM, but NM can't use wifi.
>Switching back and forth (by adding/removing interfaces from
>/etc/network/interfaces) is a big waste of time too.  I went through 2
>fsck checks (60+ reboots) in figuring out that it was NM not the wifi
>card that was giving me problems.  I will add that to make my wifi card
>work I had to iwpriv it to only use 802.11b.... and that is something I
>suspect NM can't do.  Also, when using NM I get about 2MB of log files
>each hour from wpa_suplicant complaining about every other AP if finds
>and doesn't have an encryption key for (regardless of the fact that I am
>not trying to use those other APs).

Alright. What is the exact model of your card? I've personally used a DWL-G630
and WPC11v3. I think NM is able to read settings from your ifcfg files, so you
might be able to place iwpriv commands there. I've experienced excessive
logging from wpa_supplicant and don't have an answer; is there anything else
interesting in your logs? What sequence of events is logged if you try to
connect to an access point?

-Brian