[ale] Sync a Palm Tungsten T5 with Linux

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 18 09:42:04 EDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 08:01:39PM -0400, Nathan J. Underwood wrote:
>    Thank you for your response!!  I created the rule, and gave it a try,
> but didn't get the expected response when I typed the pilot-xfer command
> (I tried it as me, and then tried it as root, with the same results [see
> below]).
>
> [nathan at l64-wks ~]$ pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -l
>   Unable to bind to port: /dev/pilot
>   Please use --help for more information
> [nathan at l64-wks ~]$

It's possible that udev just hadn't created the device yet.  It can take
a few seconds after the hotsync is started before the device files
appear in /dev.  Try creating a script like:

while [ ! -f /dev/pilot ] ; do
    sleep 1
done
pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -l

Then start the hotsync and run the script.  Give it up to 30 seconds
before giving up on it.  Obviously, this isn't a long-term solution, but
will let you know whether the sync can work or not.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9