[ale] BSD.v.Linux essay

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:56:18 EST 2005

The only problem I have had with BSD, specifically OpenBSD, is driver
support. The last time I gave it a shot was about two years ago. I
wanted to load it on an old Dell PowerEdge (a very big and heavy
machine) and use it to run an in-house web server. I eventually got it
to load but it would keep crashing because of the RAID controller.
Evidently, there was some quirk to the hardware that the Linux drivers
either work around or ignore but the BSD drivers crashed upon
encountering it. When the hard drives won't consistently work because
the controller drivers keep crashing the system then the OS is
useless.

Admittedly, that is only one machine (well, machine type. I had
multiple machines of the same model to work with), but the experience
left me with an impression that the driver support is lacking even
more than Linux's. However, I use a BSD derivative every day on my
PowerBook and am quite happy with it. The cp command can be a little
quirky ( http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051112100007372&lsrc=osx
) but I get by :)