[ale] BSD.v.Linux essay

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Tue Nov 22 13:35:28 EST 2005

I read this article a while back and it actually convinced me to give FreeBSD
another try. The author is a pretty fair to both sides (though clearly
somewhat biased to his choice, BSD). Mostly he just points out that BSD is
all about a controlled development process and structure, whereas Linux grabs
anything useful from wherever it can find it. It's not that one is better
than the other necessarily, just different.

Both have their merits, but certain people's personalities may fit better with
one of the other. In a lot of respects, despite being more familiar with
Linux, I'm finding a lot of things on my test FreeBSD install that I like. It
took some getting used to before I realized they're not the same thing just
because they both have *nix roots, but once I got over that hurdle things
were easier.

The best thing about FreeBSD so far has been documentation. Everything from
man pages to the FreeBSD handbook has been clear, up to date, and useful. I
appreciate that a lot, especially the handbook.