[ale] USB external HDD

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue May 31 10:02:53 EDT 2005

H. A. Story wrote:
> This may have come up before. Sorry if it has.  I have played around
> with my USB stick and got it to work with my slackware box.  Love it.
>
> What I am looking for now is a external HDD USB would offer me the most.
>  I don't have firewire right now.  I understand that the device needs to
> support Mass storage standards(?).  I most have spent a good 30 minutes
> at frys on Sunday looking at the drives and didn't see one that even
> said it would support Mass Storage. currently looking at the network
> accessible drives too, but maybe later when the cost comes down.
>
> Does anyone know of a list that shows which ones work with Linux?  I
> wonder how safe I would be going by the compatible with MAC OS 8.6 or
> higher on statement the box also.

I picked up a Maxtor 'one-touch' a while back.  It has both usb and
firewire.  Works fine under RHWS [3|4] and SuSE 9.[2|3].  I've tried
both firewire and usb.  Plug and play...

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.6adb6b8313633595062e6be791346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives

Or for convenience....

ttp://tinyurl.com/3o7qq

> Then later I will have to wonder what is the best cross platform format.
> FAT,FAT32,NTFS,or Linux) probably the old FAT32 so I can read/write with
>  Linux and Windows.

I don't do that much windows stuff, but I'd suspect that if you what
read/write access via windows and linux, some variation of fat is your
only reliable choice.

--
Until later, Geoffrey