[ale] USB external HDD

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue May 31 09:59:14 EDT 2005

On Monday 30 May 2005 11:26 pm, H. A. Story wrote:
| What I am looking for now is a external HDD USB would offer me the most.

Fry's sells USB boxes designed to hold any standard HD. Plug
things together and you're good to go.
Only one thing to watch for:
SPEED

There's USB 1, which is too slow for most folks.
There is USB 2.0 -- FULL SPEED, which isn't. This about 6X - 8X
   faster than USB 1
There is USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED, which is.

Be sure to read the fine print on all USB 2.0 devices as some
are a _lot_ faster than others.
And, of course, if you have an older MB, you will need to add
a USB 2.0 card. Many today provide both USB 2.0 and Firewire.

Sean