[ale] Need Tractor Feed Dot Matrix printer

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat May 28 00:49:54 EDT 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Mark Wright wrote:

> I just thought the XT was far enough back that many people you may
> meet under 30 might not even recognize the acronym.
>
> I did some sys admin for a private school a few years ago and it was
> a hoot having student assistants that wanted to learn about
> computers.  I try to explain things in a basic way and build up
> complexity until the problem is explained.  I had teenagers that were
> semi competent on newer wintel technology that didn't have any
> background.  Frequently I started to explain why a particular
> convention existed in soft or hard ware and had to start with a PC
> history lesson to get to the answer.
<<snip>>

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Or something like that.
I've been given to understand that many of the mistakes of the early
mainframe machines, were repeated by the minicomputer people, and then
repeated by the microcomputers. I wonder what sort of change will occur to
allow those mistakes to be repeated yet again.