[ale] Need Tractor Feed Dot Matrix printer

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat May 28 11:11:44 EDT 2005

Mark Wright wrote:
> I just thought the XT was far enough back that many people you may  meet
> under 30 might not even recognize the acronym.
>
> I did some sys admin for a private school a few years ago and it was  a
> hoot having student assistants that wanted to learn about  computers.  I
> try to explain things in a basic way and build up  complexity until the
> problem is explained.  I had teenagers that were  semi competent on
> newer wintel technology that didn't have any  background.  Frequently I
> started to explain why a particular  convention existed in soft or hard
> ware and had to start with a PC  history lesson to get to the answer.
>
> The first computer I actually owned was an Atari too.

Well, I guess I got a late start.  Although I've been interested in
computers for a long time and worked with them in these timeframes, but
the first computer I actually owned was a pentium 75 running windows
3.11.  That was sometime around 1994.

It wasn't long after that someone turned me on to Linux and I installed
slackware, sometime in 1995, I believe.  The ale archives do have some
of my lame posts in early 1996.  Seems the 1995 archives are not complete.

--
Until later, Geoffrey