[ale] Trying to setup snort on FC3

Nathan J. Underwood ale1 at cybertechcafe.net
Fri May 27 12:58:15 EDT 2005

I know I'm a bit behind the ball, but I've finally got some time /
equipment to start tinkering with snort.  The box is a 300 (well,
334.069) MHz PIII with 96MB RAM, and it's running Fedora Core 3.  It's
basically a stock install that's had yum update ran on it.  My original
preference for installing software (on a RH / FC) box is to use
available RPM's, but the snort folks seem to frown on that, so I'm going
the source route.  So, I downloaded snort-2.3.3.tar.gz from the snort
website, and got started.  The ./configure script started running, but
complained that there was no Libpcre header (checking for pcre.h
presence, no).  So, I headed over to pcre.org, hoping to find an RPM,
but no such luck.  Checked rpm.pbone.net, but nothing there either.  So,
I downloaded the source, and tried to configure that, but got an error
that my cpp had failed it's sanity check (configure: error: C++
preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check).  The box has cpp-3.4.3-22
and gcc-3.4.3-22 installed (per rpm -qa | grep cpp gcc).  Before I go
heading off into the wild digital yonder, can anyone offer any assistance?