[ale] Trying to setup snort on FC3

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Fri May 27 13:19:45 EDT 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Nathan J. Underwood wrote:

> that's had yum update ran on it.  My original preference for installing
> software (on a RH / FC) box is to use available RPM's, but the snort folks
> seem to frown on that, so I'm going the source route.

"official" snort rpms are currently undergoing review for going into
Fedora extras

the only caveat with snort from rpm is that snort has lots of optional
features that you may or may not want and that may not or may be turned on
by default in whatever rpm you use. Getting the src.rpm and tweaking will
probably work best

> So, I downloaded
> snort-2.3.3.tar.gz from the snort website, and got started.  The ./configure
> script started running, but complained that there was no Libpcre header
> (checking for pcre.h presence, no).

yum install pcre-devel

later,
chris