[ale] b'bye

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:19:59 EDT 2005

I can't say I know how to do that with Linux, but with a packet shaper
it is not supposed to be too hard.

We have a demo unit (packet shaper) from Procera Networks in house
right now.  We are considering becoming a reseller.  It can shape
traffic at the application layer (level-7).  ie.  If I understand it
right, it can look at the content of a packet and determine what
high-level protocal is in use, then set a bandwidth max.  (Or drop the
packets totally.)

For instance if a college wants to allow Kazaa traffic, but limit it
to 10% of the traffic in/out of the campus, then the Procera Packet
Shaper would replace the final switch prior to the firewall.  Then
tell the packet shaper to limit the kazaa traffic it is sending
to/recieving from the firewall.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer