[ale] Please help Drew fix his browser problem

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Fri May 20 16:48:24 EDT 2005

James brought up a good point about his using Debian Unstable.  I don't
think the stable version has very updated packages, correct?  My
impression is that most people using Debian are using the "unstable"
repositories.  Which are you using, Drew?

I would say that for a good working browser environment you would need
the latest Flash, Acrobat 7, java2-jre-1.4.2, and the latest version of
your browser.  I have found that I require Mozilla 1.4.x to interact
properly with Lotus Notes, which is the email calendaring system at
UNCG.  I am a Mozilla fan still, but have used Firefox some and like it
okay.  It just has some defaults I don't like and didn't see a quick way
to switch around.  I still keep alot of mail in Mozilla so the single
program for both mail and browsing is fine with me.  I am impressed with
the latest Acrobat 7 for Linux.  By the way, I love SUSE and will
probably stick with it since it has so many programs precompiled, ready
to install, and most all of it just works now.  Either Yast2 or Apt is
how I update machines unless I feel like using checkinstall instead.
The huge number of security problems with browsers that are cropping up
left and right are a real pain since I can't keep up with updating all
the boxes and warning users of possible changes.

The experience I've had with Redhat RHEL3 on the Dell's has not been
great.  If I run the update routines, invariably something is broken I
can't find out how to fix.  Since I configured apt and use Dag's
repository and the kde-redhat repository, I have had good success and no
major foulups.  I did load SUSE 9.3 on the last Dell Precision we
purchased and it is sweet.
Sincerely,
Dow