[ale] Debian issues from Drew

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Thu May 19 14:41:31 EDT 2005

What browser are you using?  I have Mozilla 1.7.2 and the link in issue
1 works fine for me.  No crashes.

2.  I think the midi module that runs your card would need a flag in the
/etc/modules.conf entry for the module when it is loaded to configure
the mpu port.  This link has some examples that indicate this,
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO-7.html.  I'm sure you've seen this
page but maybe it will help.  Isn't there a low-latency distribution
just for audio and video now?  Can't remember the name.

3.  Not familiar with Gnutella but after visiting the page and seeing it
is a file sharing app, I can see why it might not allow itself to be run
as root.  You can always setup an alternate normal user and ssh to your
user at localhost to get the X permissions taken care of.  I've used this
to run X and OpenGL apps as root to display on my normal user login in
the X environment.  You can use it vice versa, eg. as root ssh to the
normal user on the local machine to display Gnutella.

4.  If SANE doesn't work out for you with the normal install docs then I
can't help as I've never addressed the issue.

5.  Don't know about the IVTV driver.  If the link provided by James
doesn't help, then you will have to keep looking for info.  Sorry!

6.  I found this bit of info that indicates you might need soundfont's
so installing Timidity might solve your problem.  Here is the info I found:

Q 3.
I can't hear any sound! I see the running red notes, but there is no sound!
What's wrong?

A 3.
First of all, try to play a MIDI file with kmid (not kmidi!) or pmidi (for ALSA
users). As long as kmid or pmidi doesn't produce any sound, NoteEdit (and any
other MIDI device based software) will not produce any sound too! The reason is:
Either your soundcard has no hardware MIDI synthesizer or it has a hardware MIDI
synthesizer but it is not supported by Linux.

Note!
-----
Don't be confused if you are able to hear MIDI files on Microsoft Windows. If
your soundcard has no hardware MIDI synthesizer, Windows automatically starts a
software which converts the MIDI data into WAV (PCM) data in real time. Such
software exists in Linux world too (TiMidity, FluidSynth). However, the main
problem is the soundfont (MIDI orchestra), which usually isn't free, so it's not
included and configured in major Linux distros by default. For details about
setting up the TiMidity server, see README!

Here is the link: http://noteedit.berlios.de

Hope this helps!  I don't recommend running all the time as root, but I
understand why you do since so much multimedia has required root
permissions and so on.  My favorite enhancement to Linux so far is the
subfs system that auto mounts/umounts removeable media on demand without
having to run mount as root.
Good luck,
Dow