[ale] Linux Distributions

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Tue May 17 21:29:40 EDT 2005

In the interest of correctness, that is not the case. The
Administrator account on a Windows NT/2k/xp/2k3 is not all powerful
like root on a traditional *nix system. The "god" identity on windows
is local system, but practically speaking, your argument has merit.
Far too many Windows users run as Administrator or equiv.

Personally, not only do I not run as root or administrator, but I run
(on Linux, Solaris, Mac, and Windows) as a normal user, and use a
seperate account for accessing services outside my scope of
administrative authority (read: trust). I use sudo on Linux and Mac
OSX, plain old su on Solaris, and "run as" on Windows (2k and up).
Since I tend to toy around with malicious code captured on honeypots
quite a bit, this has saved me from extra work cleaning systems on
several occasions. VMWare helps to offset this requirement a bit, but
I am not always on a machine that has enough resources to run multiple
VMs.

--
Jonathan