[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 19 13:55:46 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 12:40:52AM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > 	- flashable hardware is still flashable.  Sure, some of them
> > 	  have worked around their issues, but does it make sense to
> > 	  assume they all have?  Nope.
>
> re-flashing is like fsck'ing.  IT IS NOT DESTRUCTIBLE.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone make this claim before.  Every
re-flashing guide I've ever read has warned that if power is interrupted
during the re-flashing process you will either have a very expensive
paper weight or you will have to return the unit to the factory.  I
don't do a lot of re-flashing, so I don't know; maybe newer hardware can
recover from a corrupt flash attempt, but I wouldn't assume that any
hardware could.  I know for a fact that my Rio Volt can't.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9