[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 02:42:51 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 23:55 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> >
> > That is just bogus.  There is no modern day hardware that software can
> > destroy.  Video refresh rates, bios, hard-drives, flash, NICs, etc. are
> > all pretty resilient.  It's quite funny that people keep "talking" about
> > these mysterious hardware hacks yet no one can show evidence of one.
> > Makes one wonder if they are in a business that necessitates scaring
> > people.  Alarmists I say!
> >

> Too bad there isn't a minimum required intelligence level to sign up to
> the list.

Agreed.

> 	- flashable hardware is still flashable.  Sure, some of them
> 	  have worked around their issues, but does it make sense to
> 	  assume they all have?  Nope.

re-flashing is like fsck'ing.  IT IS NOT DESTRUCTIBLE.

> 	- Are you making the assumption that people always use new
> 	  hardware?  Yes, I think you are.

I've been talking (for days now) about desktops and laptops.  I sure
hope people are using relatively new hardware.  If not, feel free to
come up (or shut up) with an example of one that is vulnerable to your
"magic.

> *shakes head*... And you talk about "kids" like they're stupid.

No, but some are clearly ignorant (in the purist of sense).

-Jim P.