[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu May 19 14:51:52 EDT 2005

Jason Day wrote:

> I don't think I've ever heard anyone make this claim before.  Every
> re-flashing guide I've ever read has warned that if power is interrupted
> during the re-flashing process you will either have a very expensive
> paper weight or you will have to return the unit to the factory.  I
> don't do a lot of re-flashing, so I don't know; maybe newer hardware can
> recover from a corrupt flash attempt, but I wouldn't assume that any
> hardware could.  I know for a fact that my Rio Volt can't.

Some can with various keystrokes in the case of a PC BIOS, but many
cannot yet, becuase it requires complex infrastructure that many vendors
do not care to implement.  I can't say with any certainty, however, the
numbers or percentages which vendors implement such protections.  I know
that corporate level machines have them, largely.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!