[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:44:25 EDT 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> So.... point out one of these attacks that required root/Administrative
> access.  Surely there is at least on securityfocus article that
> identifies a virus/malware that needs root in order to attack other
> systems on the Internet.  If not, if you are only speaking of malware
> that harms individual systems run as root then what is your worry?

Users install programs daily, whether knowingly or not, and these come
packaged with malware.  If installing software in a central location
requires these privileges, then the malware comes in.  Other times, you
get things that plant theirselves in C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System,
C:\Windows\System32, and then adjust the registry to run from there at
boot up.  That wouldn't be possible if the user wasn't an Admin user.
Why does the software install itself there?  It's somewhere hidden that
the user doesn't typically go and look inside of.

It'd be less hidden if the program had to install in the user's home
directory (in Windows, %UserProfile%\My Documents).

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!