[ale] Linux Distributions

Marvin Higginbottom, marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Wed May 18 09:44:33 EDT 2005

Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> Running as root, is bad.  Period.

Yes.

My mother and my sister share a computer they use for the various
internet thingies moms and sisters do, and it's a windows XP box.

Until I set it up so I was the only person with an "administrator"
account, and gave them "limited" accounts, their computer would get
hosed with trojans, viri, spyware, and other malware constantly- and I
had to go up there and fix it for them every few weeks.

Now they have to ask me to install stuff for them, but their computer
has been virus/trojan/malware free since I took this step.

And running even a "limited" windows account is way less secure than
running a linux user account.  There's every reason in the world to not
run as root (or even "admin" under windows), and no reason in the world
to justify it, as anything you could concieveably do with your computer
can be done from a user account- even if you do have to occasionally
rely of "sudo" or some other form of switching to root user to do this
or that.

--
"England can kiss my ass!" --Jerry Lee Lewis